Cláudia Martins (1979) and Rafael Carriço (1976) are the directors and choreographers of Vortice Dance Company.
Graduate by the Escola Superior de Dança, in the performance area they get an "Erasmus" program scholarship, attends in the Hoggenschool Dansacademie Tilburg, Holland in 1998.
They develops them work in the contemporary dance, creating in 2001 Vortice Dance Company one of the most prestigious Portuguese companies and the one which has received more prizes abroad.
For their artistic activity, the company relies on the support of Direção Geral das Artes / Secretaria de Estado (Ministry of Arts).
• Grand Prix of Choreography, Phillip Morris, Ballet and Choreography Competition, Helsinki 2001, given by Tarja Halonem, President of Finland, at the Opera of Helsinki
• Audience Award, 4th Japan International Ballet & Modern Dance Competition, given by Your Highness Prince Takamado and Maia Plisetskaya, in 2002
• In November 2000 is finalist in the category of contemporary duet in the 9º Concours International de Danse de Paris.
• Honorable Mention of Ourém City, in 2003
• Phillip Morris Recognizement Award at the 7th International Baltic Ballet Festival, at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, given by Vaira Vike-Freiberga, President of Latvia
• Audience Award at the Best Solo and Duet Festival, at Trafo House of Contemporary Arts in Budapest, Hungary, 2005
• Phillip Morris Recognizement Award, at the 9th International Baltic Ballet Festival at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, in 2004
• 1th Prix Profissionelle at the competition Printemps de la Danse, Gland, Suitzland, in 2001
• Recognizement Award, at the 13th International Baltic Ballet Festival at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, in 2008, given by the mayor of the city
• Culture Award, at the Gala Evening Troféus Afonso Lopes Vieira, by the newspaper Região de Leiria, Portugal, 2009
• Feminine Culture Award, at the Gala Evening Jornal “O Mirante”, Portugal, 2009
The choreographic work is marked by an intense and physical way of moving and, at the same time, by strong emotions. Their work have been recognized for the audience and for the critic of many different countries like Japan, France, Romania, Spain, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Brazil, Latvia, Hungary, Italy, Marocco, Portugal, Macedonia, among others.
The Vortice Dance Company has already been presented in many countries standing out the following theatres, festivals and events:
• Opera of Helsinki, Finland
• Opera of Macedonia, Macedonia
• Opera of Riga, Latvia
• National Opera of Romania, Bucharest
• Centro Cultural da Villa de Madrid, Spain
• National Dance Theatre, Budapest, Hungary
• Theatre Odeon, Bucharest, Romania
• Aichi Prefectural Art Theater, Nagoya, Japan
• Forum Grimnaldi, Monaco
• Trafó House of Contemporary Arts, Budapest, Hungary
• Theatre Des Champs Élysèes, Paris, France
• Forum des Halles, Paris, France
• Theatre Mohammed V, Rabat, Marocco
• TGV Liège-Guillemins Station, Belgium
• Choreographers Showcase, Copenhagen, Denmark
• Teatro Comunale Bolzano, Italy
. Broward Center, Miami, USA
. Olympia Theater, Miami, USA
VORTICE DANCE COMPANY